To have a permanent residency in Dubai, an Emirates ID serves as your key identification. No matter which city you live in, you are required to carry this card with you at all times. Issued by the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship (FAIC), it contains an electronic chip, which has all important data stored in it. For example, right from your fingerprints to other basic details and photos, everything is stored in this small chip which will help in almost making any transaction in UAE like buying a property for sale, renting an apartment, short term rentals, buying a car in dubai and more .
Apart from being your official identification in the UAE, an Emirates ID can be used for several other purposes as well. For example, you can use it to carry out various transactions such as paying utility bills, registering vehicles, paying fines, etc. Furthermore, you won’t be able to
buy property in Dubai or any other emirate if you don’t have an Emirates ID.
The Process to Apply for an Emirates ID
For UAE Nationals
Where to Apply for emirates id?
If a UAE national needs to apply for an Emirates ID, they need to visit any FAIC centre or an approved typing centre. Specific happiness centres located in the city have FAIC centres within them.
A UAE national needs the following documents to get their application processed:
If the applicant is below 15 years of age, they require the following documents to proceed:
- Original Passport
- Original Family Book (required only if the application is made through a typing centre)
For new-born applications, an ID number is required, which is issued at the time of registering in the Population Register.
- Photo with background
- Original birth certificate or their father’s emirate ID/passport
Emirates ID fees depend on the duration for which it remains valid. Moreover, the mode of application also influences the fees. Have a look at the details:
Applying through an FAIC Centre
- AED 290 for Emirates ID valid for 5 years
- AED 390 for Emirates ID valid for 5 years
Applying through a Typing Centre:
- AED 170 for Emirates ID valid for 5 years
- AED 270 for Emirates ID valid for 5 years
Process to Apply
- Fill out the application form. You can get this form online or at FAIC centres.
- Pay application fees.
- If you are over 15 years of age, you will be required to submit your biometric details. For this purpose, you will have your fingerprints taken, along with a photograph, at an FAIC centre.
- Once you have submitted all the details, your application will go under processing.
- After the processing is complete, you will be notified when your card is ready to be collected.
- You will be able to collect your card after 24 hours of applying if you have applied through FAIC centres. In case you have applied through a typing centre, it can take up to 5 working days for your ID to be issued. Once it is issued, visit the post office you mentioned in the application for collection purposes.
Just like UAE nationals, Expats are also required to carry their Emirates ID with them all the time. Whether they want to pay a bill or look for houses for sale in Dubai offers, Emirates ID is necessary for them to complete every transaction.
Where to Apply?
If you are moving to Dubai for work purposes, you can ask your company to sponsor you and apply for an ID on your behalf. You can also do it on your own by applying through an approved typing centre located anywhere in Dubai.
For people below the age of 15 or new-borns, these additional documents are required:
- Original passport
- Original entry permit or valid residency
- Personal photo with white background
- Original birth certificate or the Emirates ID of father or their passport
- In the case of new-borns, visa & passport of the applicant’s sponsor is also required
Just like the Emirates ID card for nationals, application fees for expats ID card also depends on the duration of validity. Furthermore, they also have to bear additional service fees. These charges also vary in terms of the mode of application.
Applying through an FAIC Centre/Smart App
- AED 140 for 1-year validity
- AED 240 for 2 years’ validity
- AED 340 for 3 years’ validity
Applying through a Typing Centre:
- AED 170 for 1-year validity
- AED 270 for 2 years’ validity
- AED 370 for 3 years’ validity
Process to Apply
Here is a set of instructions to follow when applying for an Emirates ID for expats through a typing centre:
- Fill out the application form with necessary details.
- Pay the application charges. You will then receive an SMS with the information that your application is received.
- If you are 15 years or above, you will need to have your biometrics taken by an approved Preventive Medicine Centre. Authorised personnel will take your fingerprints and photographs.
- Next, your visa will be stamped and the application will officially go in the processing stage. A tracking number will be allotted to you, which you can use to track your application & check its status.
- Once your card is issued, you will be notified via an SMS. Usually, it takes 5 working days for the ID to be issued. To collect your Emirates ID, you will be required to visit the post office you mentioned in the application.
For GCC Nationals
The process for GCC Nationals to apply for an Emirates ID is similar to that of UAE nationals. However, they also need to submit their proof of residency in this city. It can be an employment certificate, valid trade licence or a certificate testifying that they study in the UAE. The validity of Emirates ID for GCC Nationals is 5 years.
Watch: Emirates ID Procedure