The road’s easier when you’re travelling with a map and moving home can be easy too if properly planned before time.
Similarly, if you are on rent, moving home
need not be a highly stressful event. There are loads of things to do in the lead up to the move but breaking down the tasks into weekly to-do lists can make things manageable.
Our checklist can be referred to step-by-step execution procedure to help in the run-up to the big day.
7 Weeks Before Moving Home
- Do you need the assistance of a removal service? Do you have friends or family who can help you? If you need a service, book now in order to avoid last minute surprises. Get recommendations from people who’ve recently moved from their rental villa or apartment.
- Start a folder where you can keep all of your moving estimates and moving-related paperwork.
- Make a list of service providers you will need to contact in order to change your address.
6 Weeks Before Relocation
- Kickstart the packing process. Take a look at your closet and sort clothes into three piles: those you want to keep, those that need to be thrown away and those that can be donated.
- When the closets are done, start assessing items room by room. If you live in a rental apartment, then be careful in packing up things.
- Begin packing items that aren't used frequently such as rarely used gadgets and items stored in the basement.
5 Weeks - Gathering the Essentials for Moving
- Get essential packing supplies including boxes, tape and labels. Supermarkets and other retail outlets are a good place to find them.
- Make a room-by-room packing schedule and start packing!
- Use up food that you already have and refrain from doing too much grocery shopping.
4 Weeks - Going Through the Paperwork
- Confirm all paperwork which also include rental agreement review with your chosen mover and verify that insurance is in place to cover valuable items.
- Cancel any deliveries of newspapers and other services, such as cleaning.
- Return any borrowed items to their owners, for instance library books and movies.
2-3 Weeks Before Moving
- How’s the packing going? Don't leave it all until the last week.
- Have you changed addresses?
- If you’re moving major appliances, make sure they're cleaned, unplugged and ready to go. Disconnect gas lines on particular appliances.
- Make sure you have enough cash or a credit card to pay for any unexpected expenses.
- Do you have pets? Arrange for a safe place for them to stay on moving day.
1 Week Before The Big Day
- Get in touch with your removal company to confirm the time and date of moving.
- Give your property a thorough clean.
- Pack important documents or belongings in a separate box, so you know exactly where it is.
- Redirect your mail.
Moving day - Lets Get Started
- Pack all bedding.
- Disconnect everything and make a note of metre readings.
- Check all rooms before you leave.
- Check that all windows and doors are locked.
And get ready to start a new chapter in your life!